August 5, 2020
Like the entire faculty and staff, the HHCA Community Life Team is thrilled to welcome students back to campus this week. I wanted to share some updates from our team here and reassure you that we are here for you and your family.
I am so excited that we have added two additional additional team members to help meet the spiritual and emotional needs of the HHCA community:
- Neely Langhals has joined HHCA as a Spiritual Life Mentor. She will teach Bible class, lead our Life-on-Life mentorship program, and mentor teachers and students while assisting in chapel.
- Brandon Gray has also joined HHCA to teach Bible, coach Middle School football, and pour into the lives of our Middle and Upper School students. Brandon was previously the Men’s Camp Director at Pine Cove Camp in Texas. He played football in college at Wheaton College.
As with many aspects of life during this season, we are adapting several Community Life activities to new health and safety protocols in place. Here is a brief summary of some of the differences you will notice at the beginning of this school year:
MIDDLE SCHOOL/UPPER SCHOOL RETREATS
- We have decided to postpone retreats as we evaluate a safe option for gathering students. Our hope is to reschedule retreats for the spring provided it is safe at that time.
- After the first few weeks of school, we will evaluate the possibility of doing some smaller, non-overnight events that would allow for spiritual growth and class bonding.
- To begin, school chapels will be held virtually with students remaining in their assigned cohort spaces. The Community Life Team will share either filmed or live-streamed Bible lessons along with worship music and activities for each room.
- Mentors will be divided amongst students to facilitate Chapel and ensure students get the post personal experience possible.
- Our hope is to eventually be able to begin some outdoor, physically distanced group options for live Chapel.
- Middle and Upper School E-10 groups will be grade-specific this year. This allows us to have less overlap of students, but still meet in small groups daily to accomplish the ultimate goal of growing relationships and building community.
I look forward to sharing more with you in the coming weeks about our reinvigorated Life+ program. Life+ is designed to provide resources and partner with families to ensure parents, guardians, grandparents and mentors can confidently navigate leading today’s generation of students through uncharted waters.
Unlike many things planned prior to March 2020, it fits perfectly with where we are planted as a school today:
🌳 𝐑𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐧 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭
👊 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐧 𝐅𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐡
🙏 𝐎𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐟𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬
We will continue to lift the entire HHCA community up in prayer while keeping our eyes focused on the Lord. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me or anyone on the Community Life Team with any questions.
Director of Community Life