Academic Resource Center
- Visual/Auditory Perception, Memory, or Sequencing
- Visual-Motor Integration
- Processing Speed
- Spatial and/or Temporal Relations
- Cognitive Processing with emphasis on Critical Thinking/Abstract/Logical Reasoning
- Receptive/Expressive Language Processing
- Verbal/Nonverbal Reasoning
- Specific Academic Area (Spelling, Reading, Writing, Math)
ARC Services and Fees
- Tier 3 - Middle/Upper School (daily ARC with educational therapy): $3600
This is our highest level of support and intervention. Students in this tier receive individualized educational therapy from our NILD certified instructors. They also receive support in the form of study strategies, organizational strategies, and targeted tutoring as needed in specific content areas. Students in this tier attend the ARC for support five days per week in lieu of an elective period. Students in this tier receive classroom and testing accommodations as indicated in their psychological report.
- Tier 2 - Middle/Upper School (2-3x/week with educational support): $2700
This is our most common level of support and intervention. Students in this tier do not receive educational therapy. Rather, they receive support in the form of study strategies, organizational strategies, and targeted tutoring as needed in specific content areas. It is not uncommon for students in this tier to be able to work within small groups of similar students led by our ARC instructors. Students in this tier attend the ARC in lieu of an elective period. Students in this tier receive classroom and testing accommodations as indicated in their psychological report.
- Tier 1 - Transition: $1800
This tier is reserved for students with a psycho-educational report who are ready to graduate from therapy yet still need a scheduled time for finishing tests and other accommodations, as well as occasional clarification or help from ARC mentors. Students in this tier attend ARC in lieu of an elective period 2-3 days per week. (Available only with recommendation from ARC mentors.)
- LS Tier - Lower School (pull-out sessions from specials/2-5 sessions per week): $2700
Students in the lower school track receive individualized educational therapy, subject area tutoring, and classroom support. Students in this track will work with our ARC instructors during times scheduled as pull-out sessions from their specials times (2-5 sessions per week).
- Permission for the use of laptop computers in the classroom.
- With permission from the instructor, the use of a recording device in the classroom.
- Assistance with note taking.
- Extended time for students to complete tests and classroom assignments.
- The use of a word processing program for spelling and composition.
- In cases of extreme disability in a given area, alterations in course requirements may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Oral reading and/or interpretation of directions and test questions.
- Testing in a separate location.
External Testing AccommodationsARC works with students and the guidance department on College Board (PSAT, SAT and AP) tests as well as ACT tests. There is a different process for College Board and ACT applications and require additional time to process. See Academic Accommodations Guidelines for procedure.
- Learning Disabilites: Causes, Effects, and Diagnosis
- Types of Learning disabilities
- Other Resources
- Barton Reading & Spelling System
- Scholarship Funding: Exceptional SC is the new face of the Educational Credit for Exceptional Needs Children. It is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to supporting exceptional needs students and families in South Carolina, created by the passage of the Exceptional SC Law of 2018.