Middle School Guidance
Sixth-grade students work closely with Ms. Murphy to explore Naviance and complete the Career Key, a 20-minute assessment that identifies careers and college majors to match their interests, traits, skills, and abilities based upon Holland’s Theory of Career Choice. Students also work with Ms. Murphy and their mentors to explore their learning styles and interests and develop an academic plan that fosters communication, collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking.
Parents and students are encouraged to take these steps towards personal growth and academic development:
- Establish an academic system that works best for the student
- Check myHHCA weekly to be informed of grades/homework assignments
- Seek extracurricular opportunities on and off-campus
- Find a local/regional organization with which to volunteer (suggested: 3 hours)
- Explore summer enrichment opportunities
HHCA families have access to Naviance: an online college, career and life readiness platform that helps middle and high school students discover their strengths, explore college and career interests, create actionable goals and find their best-fit path after high school.
Summer Enrichment Programs:
USC Summer Programs (middle and upper school)
SC Summer Education Programs (middle and upper school)
SC Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities (middle and upper school)